2.9.11

...just as Christ also loved the church...

Ephesians 5:25-27 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her; 26 that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she should be holy and blameless.

I've been to soooooo many weddings when this set of verses is casually read--mine included. I know I didn't totally understand what it meant nine years ago (thought I did), but I am privileged to be married to a man who lives these verses out on a daily basis.

While reading the other day, I came across a statement that brings about a simple interpretation of these verses: "The goal of love is not just kindness motivated by a desire to make your wife happy. The goal is to build her up to bring about God’s purpose in her." 

I have realized over the last couple of years--especially with the added stress of a child (almost children)--that I have married a man that not only exemplifies Christ, but who also makes it his goal to make me a better person and develop who God made me to be. He is slow to anger, the most patient person I have ever met, extraordinarily humble, and loves me with a true love--a love that isn't afraid to correct me when I am wrong or encourage me when I am in a slump. He is respected by those around him, not because he lives in a popular way, but because he lives each and every minute with integrity--always putting others before himself and ALWAYS thinking long and hard before he speaks.

Bottom line: I love that my husband loves Jesus more than he loves me, and I love that my husband wants me--he urges me--to love Jesus more than I love him. Even more, he lives in such a way that draws me closer to Jesus.

Now, who needs a big house and fancy things when you come home to that every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment