17.9.10

Through a Mother's Eyes...

I anticipated most of the changes in my life after becoming a parent. I anticipated the sleepless nights, the abrupt end to most of my social life, the immense responsibility, the sacrifice on every level, etc. However, I never stopped to think about the subtle affect of motherhood on my everyday perspective. It is nearly impossible to look at a child without thinking of my own. It is nearly impossible to speak to another parent without connecting in some way. And it is especially impossible to teach without thinking about every mother, father, or guardian that is represented by each child that occupies a seat in my classroom. I teach like I would want my son to be taught--not necassirly like the manual says I should. I speak to parents like I want to be spoken to by a teacher one day. More than anything, I have found myself responding to injustice in the school system with a frustration and passion only a mother could have. No teacher for that class because of budget cuts?...what if that were my son? Treated with no respect because he doesn't have all A's in his academic history?...what if that were my son? Set up for failure at the hand of political gain and a modern-day system of segregation and discrimination?...what if that were my son? I can no longer look at students through the lense of some degree or the title "teacher" or some high ideal written in a book or in a piece of legislation.

(con't later--after I wrote the first part in the last 10 minutes of lunch!)

I wish the world could see...I would love to write a book called "Despite" about all of the underdogs who overcame the system, who overcame the statistics, who overcame the sterotypes. I would love even more to include photographs of the injustice. One day maybe...

Until then...I see with a mother's eyes, feel with a mother's heart, and teach with a mother's passion. Many ask, "why do you stay there?" My answer: Esther 4:13

1 comment:

  1. I have a feeling you had that heart/these convictions in you pre-mamahood, but now they are even more so. Praying for your school year, friend.

    ReplyDelete